Why do overbookings happen, and how should I deal with them?
Overbookings happen when a room gets more bookings than it can actually accommodate. This can happen for various reasons, including:
- System outages preventing availability from being updated
- Incorrect auto-replenishment of cancelled reservations or room nights
- Late requests to close availability before bookings are made
- Non-XML rates being used in the reservation (which should all be updated manually or via a rate relation that is configured in the extranet)
- The rate not being correctly mapped for ARI updates
If a room is overbooked, Booking.com’s Customer Service team will notify both the guest and the property to arrange either an alternative 'room or a relocation for the guest.
If you’ve checked the above possibilities and still aren’t sure what caused the overbooking, feel free to contact us here.